Monday 20 February 2017

My Anna Toile

I bought the By Hand London Anna pattern quite a while ago, after falling in love with so many versions that I'd seen on Pinterest. I think I've been putting off making it because I knew I should really do a toile first, and because I haven't really seen the perfect fabric for it. As I'm off to the Knitting and Stitching show next week, I figured I may as well have a shot at the toile before the trip, because if I can't find the right fabric there, then I never will.



I'm still ill at the moment, so just the toile-making took over a week. The PDF construction was predictably tedious, though no easier or harder than it was with any other patterns that I've tried. When it came to cutting out the fabric I had no end of fun with my Pilot Frixion pens, which make marking notches, pleats and darts an absolute dream, but I fell at the last hurdle, and I was just too tired to finish the cutting in one go.

Finally, on Sunday, I got round to constructing the bodice - please excuse the picture quality. To be honest it's a good job it wasn't too bright, as the fabric I'm using for toiles at the moment is from some £2.50 charity shop duvet covers, and it's not exactly opaque.

I was really pleased with the fit of the bodice - in that photo it's held together with safety pins at the back and on my right, so I could try it on easily, and I haven't finished the armholes or neckline. I really like the pleats at the front. The sleeves are quite generous on me as I have quite narrow shoulders, but I'm happy with this as I don't really like showing my upper arms. The neckline is simple and fairly straight - just how I like it!

Once I'd got past that first bit of construction, it was easy enough to make up the skirt and add it on. I thought the skirt would be a bit of a faff to put together as it's made up of 7 parts, but actually it's just a load of straight lines, and it's easy peasy if you have your pieces properly labelled. 

This time the back is done up with safety pins. 



I am super happy with the fit of this dress. I consulted the measurements before I started and I was closest to the 12, so I made that and sort of expected it to be a little large, but I think it's pretty perfect - I guess I have finally started to fatten up a bit after a few months off the bike, with 24/7 access to Nutella...

Anyway. the pattern's gorgeous, and I think it'll sew up quite quickly. The neckline and armholes are both finished quite early on in the pattern instructions which looks like it'll be easier than methods I've used in the past. Now that I know how lovely it is, I might make it from some of my stash fabric, because I don't want to wait until next week!

No comments :

Post a Comment