Friday 9 June 2017

Returning to Bettine

I've written before about my Bettine disappointment; I love pretty much every version I've ever seen apart from my own attempts. When I mentioned this to one of the lovely ladies at Tilly's stand in March, she asked if I'd perhaps made it in too large a size. I didn't think I had, but it stuck in my mind and I wondered if perhaps there was still a way that Bettine and I could be friends.

When we booked a last-minute trip to Tenerife in April I decided that it was now or never. I'd had this cotton lawn in my stash for months and decided that it was time to make a smaller version. This time I made a Tilly size 2 - the last having been a 4 because I decided I wanted it to be REALLY comfy, and really comfy means 2 sizes up, right?

Sigh.

Still need to buy a belt!!!

Needless to say, it's a lot better than my previous attempts. I actually like the fabric, it doesn't look like hospital scrubs, and it's about the right size. I'm obsessed with the pockets, though I'm still not overly keen on the neckline, particularly with this fabric which is way too busy for a necklace. I think I'll be making a chambray version in the near future, but any patterned versions will probably have a boat neck.

I'm going to replace the neck binding with a facing as some point, as it doesn't quite sit flat. Although loads of people seem to dislike the tulip shape of the skirt, I think it's pretty cute. That said, I do have the legs of a rugby player, so I will probably widen it around the hem next time, as I feel like it should be the ultimate comfy dress, and it's a little restrictive when I'm walking at the moment.

Anyway, I'm pleased to finally have a Bettine I can wear! I think this one will be good for barbecues once the sun comes back out.

2 comments :

  1. Very nice dress! I also made some adjustments when I sewed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olga :) what changes did you make?

      Delete